It may not be pretty but it is delicious! It was my birthday this past weekend and I made my request for Popcorn Cake. Everyone asks me, “what kind of cake are you making for yourself?” NONE! I would not have a cake if I had to make it for myself! I love to bake and I would make anyone a cake, but I refuse to make my own birthday cake! I often hear that people do not want to bake for me because I am bake. So silly! I don’t expect a big and wildly fancy cake, anything that anyone makes for me is wonderful!
I posted last years Birthday Popcorn Cake, but this year I was there for the making! It was ridiculously humid on my birthday so Mom held off making the cake for as long as she could before family arrived. If you are not from a humid climate let me tell you, popcorn and humidity do not mix well. The moisture makes the popcorn very chewy, almost like gum.
Mom was not overly impressed that I wanted to take pictures but oh well, it’s my Birthday! haha
Mom’s Version of Popcorn Cake
*nothing is measured – hence why Mom does not bake!
1. Put this much butter in a large pot and melt on low
2. Pour this much marshmallows on top of the melted butter. Melt on low, stirring occasionally
3. When marshmallows are almost melted, start popping popcorn. Mom popped 3 bags
Pour the popcorn in a medium bowl and pick though, making sure no kernels make it though to the big bowl
4. Pour marshmallows over top
5. Add Mini Eggs and stir
6. Ditch the spoon and get your hands in there! haha, Mom was struggling with the spoon, she buttered up her hands and started ‘mixing by hand’. Though this is not suggested as the marshmallows are HOT!
7. Press into a well greased bundt pan
8. Wrap in and let set
9. Enjoy the ‘extra’ that didn’t fit in the pan
This is the best part! Just like when you are making Rice Krispy Squares, the warm marshmallows make it so gooey and delicious! When it is warm it just seems so much sweeter! I like to sit down with the bowl and a fork…
10. When the cake has set, turn it onto a cake tray. It will probably stick, you will need to ease it out with something that will not scratch your bundt pan
Slice with a serrated knife and enjoy!
This was delicious! Mom did an awesome job, once again! Thank you so much!