It’s a dull, rainy, cool Sunday morning and I just wasn’t feeling the usual breakfast of a bowl of Crispix. Its days like today I could spend hours in the kitchen, so I thought I would surprise Mike with a breakfast I know he loves, Crepes!
I have never made crepes before so this is quite the ambitious endevor I have this morning HAHA. But I thought what the heck.
1 cup flour
1 1/4 cup milk
2 tbsp oil
1/4 tsp salt
Lightly whisk eggs then add the rest of the ingredients. Whisk until smooth, should be the consistency of heavy cream.
Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
When you are ready to cook the crepes
1. Preheat your non stick pan on medium heat
2. Butter the pan
3. Use 1/4 cup of the batter at a time, pour batter in centre of pan and swirl to make it bigger. (they are suppose to be round, I had a bit of a hard time with that, but really when they are all rolled up who is going to know)
4. when the top is dry its time to flip (they flip nicely, don’t stick at all)
5. cook for aprox 15 seconds more
6. place on a plate and repeat.
7. Stack them up, they wont stick together.
Mike wanted strawberry crepes but I knew i didn’t have enough strawberry so I also made a apple Cinnamon crepe.
Apple Cinnamon filling
3 granny smith apples, pealed and sliced
1 tablespoon butter
4 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
cinnamon ( like a lot, put as much as you like)
1. Melt butter in a frying pan
2. add apples and cook until tender or soft
3. add remaining ingredients
4. stir while sugar melts and thickens
5. remove from heat
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups frozen strawberries
3 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoon cold water
1 heaping teaspoon cornstarch
1. In a saucepan melt butter
2. add frozen strawberries
3. dissolve cornstarch in the cold water and add to strawberries
4. add sugar and cook until strawberries are soft
5. bring to a boil to thicken
Let the fillings cool slightly then spoon approx 1/4 cup down the centre of crepe and roll.
They turned out amazing! Mike even said “These are better then IHOP!” HAHA. Definitely something I would make again and I would make some savory fillings as well.