Hold on to your hats! This is not a desserts! It is a rare occasion that I post something that is not sweet, but in my defense my Mom made them.
I have seen photos of potatoes like these everywhere, Pinterest, Food Blogs, magazines, etc. They looked delicious and easy, and in order for me to cook something it has to be easy or I don’t want it. Weird, as I wold spend an entire day in the kitchen baking something…
The ‘new’ potatoes are starting to arrive on the market, you know the little wee ones with tones of dirt still on them. My Mom, who is a big of a potato freak, gets very excited when they first arrive. I was invited to my parents for dinner last week and when she said we were having little new potatoes I told her about this idea. Now don’t get me wrong, I do love a good potato, but boiled potatoes are just boring! Much to my surprise Mom loved the idea and we made a batch for dinner. She was much less thrilled when I announced I would be taking pictures for a post, haha. It slows things down and I make her stop and wait till i get the right picture.
I never read any of the recipes, just looked at the pictures, so we made this up as we went along. I called them Smashed Potatoes.
very small potatoes, preferably new
toppings of your choice! We used bacon and Cheese
1. Wash your potatoes ensuring all dirt is removed
2. Boil potatoes until just cooked, don’t over cook
3. Drain potatoes and place on a baking sheet
4. With a potato masher, squish each potato to desired thickness
5. Top with toppings of your choice. The possibilities are endless! We used bacon and cheese. You could use onions, BBQ sauces, spices, herbs, butters, different cheeses, WHAT EVER!
6. Bake in oven or broil until cheese is melted, or your toppings are done.
These were delicious! It was like a cross between a potato skin and a loaded baked potato. I can’t wait to make them again!