The weather has cooled down, so many people are complaining about this, not me! Cooler weather means baking season! There is nothing like warming the house up with something deliciously sweet in the oven.
On the menu today was a Cheesecake for Thanksgiving dessert. I have been planning this one for some time. I was not sure what occasion it would be for, but I have had the main ingredient for a while.
Two month ago, when the Christmas stuff came out at Costco (yes, it was out in mid August!!) I saw these….
A GIANT box of Ferrero Rocher! I love these things! AND what goes better with Hazelnut Chocolates? Hazelnut spread of course!
Nutella is something I had not tried until a few years ago. I remember in grade 5, we got a new student in our class. Everyone was so jealous of her as she had a “chocolate sandwich” everyday! I begged and pleaded with my Mom, but she would have no part in sending me to school with a chocolate sandwich. I would see the commercials and I would think of those chocolate sandwiches, but I never bought it until a few years ago. The first time I tried it I put it on the white bread, just like Florence did in gr.5 and just like I see on the commercials. EWWW! Just awful! Why would anyone do that? I was so disappointed. After all those years of imagining how wonderful it would be, I hated it! I soon discovered that it was the bread that made it so bad, alone it was heaven on a spoon! I will admit to eating an entire jar (over the course of a few weeks) just with a spoon, haha.
Anyways… I thought these would be wonderful together in a cheesecake. I went with my ‘go to’ cheesecake base and added the two.
Ferrero Rocher Nutella Cheesecake
1 1/2 cups Graham Crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
1. Combine sugar, butter and Graham crumbs
2. Stir until combine
3. Press into the springform pan and bake at 350º for 10 minutes
4. When crust cools water proof your cake pan with heavy duty foil – in order to keep the cheesecake dry while in water bath
Ferrero Rocher Nutella Cheesecake
3 pkg cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp vanilla
1 heaping cup Nutella
1. Preheat oven to 350º F .
2. Begin to boil a large pot of water for the water bath.
3. Combine cream cheese and sugar in the bowl of a stand-mixer and cream together until smooth
4. Add eggs, one at a time, fully incorporating each before adding the next. Make sure to scrape down the bowl in between each egg.
5. Add heavy cream and vanilla, blend until smooth and creamy
6. Add Nutella and mix until fully incorporated – you will probably need to scrape the bottom of the bowl with a spatula to fully incorporate
7. Cut Ferrero Rocher in half in place on bottom of crust
8. Pour Nutella mixture over the crust
9. Bang on counter a few times to bring all bubbles to the top. Place pan into a larger pan and pour boiling water into the larger pan until halfway up the side of the cheesecake pan. If cheesecake pan is not airtight, cover bottom securely with foil before adding water.
10. Bake approximately 1 hour, until it is almost done – this can be hard to judge, but you’re looking for the cake to hold together, but still have a lot of jiggle to it in the center. You don’t want it to be completely firm at this stage. Close the oven door, turn the heat off, and let rest in the cooling oven for one hour. This lets the cake finish cooking and cool down gently enough so that it won’t crack on the top. After one hour, remove cheesecake from oven and lift carefully out of water bath. Let it finish cooling on the counter, and then cover and put in the fridge to chill. Once fully chilled, it is ready to serve.
The next day…
As good as it looks, it’s too simple for me, I can’t just leave it like this. Time to spruce it up a tad!
1/4 cup cream
1 cup Nutella
1. In a heavy bottom sauce pan, heat up cream
2. Pour over Nutella and stir until smooth
It looks like it is ruined – keep stirring…
It will come together
It will drip down the sides – it’s almost like art, this excites me, haha
4. Cut Ferrero Rochers in half and place on top – return to fridge to chill
Oh My Goodness!
This was delicious!
It was creamy. It was rich. It was sweet. It was chocolatey. It was smooth. It was perfect!
The Nutella was an amazing flavour addition to the cheesecake. The chocolate flavour came through, but you could also taste a hint of the hazelnut. It was so creamy and smooth. The addition of the Ferrero Rochers within the cheesecake added a slight crunch, but not with each bite. The Nutella Ganache was divine! I can see making it to put on other desserts, or to top ice cream with.
All the cheesecake eaters loved this! I will agree, it was freaking fabulous! I have no complaints or thoughts about what I should do differently. Luckily, I bought the chocolates and Nutella at Costco, soooo there are lots left to make another! 😀