My freezer was starting to look like I was stock piling bananas for monkey’s at the zoo. I love bananas, but there is a point where they just get too ripe, blah! As soon as they go beyond being edible (for me) I throw them in the freezer, I hate wasting them.
As much as I wanted to make my ‘go to’ banana cake, I knew if I did I would have, more thank likely, eaten the entire thing! It has happened! Trying to be adventurous I went looking for a new banana bread recipe. Not having much experience with making banana things I really didn’t know what I was looking for. I find banana bread is either really good or is just awful, there isn’t much of a middle ground for me. Usually they are very bananay (is that a word?) and wet, almost rubbery, or they are flavourless and dry! I want something in the middle, flavourful and moist.
After reading many recipes I realized I should not have taken ALL of the bananas out of the freezer! Most recipes were calling for 3 or 4 bananas, I had 8 that were semi frozen, so I chose 2 recipes to try! Problem solved!
The first recipe I tried was adapted from Perfect Banana Bread from Your Cup of Cake
1. Preheat oven to 340ºF
2. Prepare your loaf pan or muffin tins
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs.
4. Pour milk into a measuring cup, not quite measuring 1/3 and add lemon juice to the milk to let sit for 2 minutes.
5. Add oil to eggs and beat again. Add milk and vanilla and beat again.
6. Mash bananas thoroughly and add to eggs, oil and milk.
7. In a separate bowl, sift sugar, flour, baking soda and salt together.
8. Slowly stir into wet ingredients. Mix only until incorporated.
9. Pour into prepared loaf pan or muffin tins
10. bake until tooth pick comes out clean, approx 35 mins
11. Let cool until able to handle then remove and cool completely on wire rack
These are delicious! I was not thrilled with their appearance, but the taste won me over.
The centre was perfectly moist. The crumb was just right, not dry and not rubbery, as some banana muffins are.
The banana flavour was spot on.
These muffins got rave reviews, everyone loved them! The only thing that could have made them a tad bit better is chocolate chips! 🙂
Thank you Lizzy of Your Cup of Cake!