Don’t let the name scare you away, it tastes much better then it sounds!
I remember years ago at a family holiday gathering someone brought Dump Cake, and I remember it being quite good. Yesterday when I had a bit of an impromptu Easter dinner of hamburgers, hot dogs and Caesar salad and needed a quick and easy dessert. Well, I didn’t actually need one, but I am always looking for an excuse to bake and this seemed like a good one.
I had a general idea of what went into the cake, but I went to the web in hopes I may find a recipe. I was shocked to see Dump Cake is quite a popular item. There are so many different varieties. I stuck with the one I remembered. Every recipe I found for this version was the same.
1 20 oz can Cherry Pie Fill
1 20 oz can Crushed Pineapple
1 vanilla cake mix
1 cup butter
1. Preheat oven to 350º F
2. Dump pineapple, juice and all, into a 9×13 baking dish. (I searched here in Canada, and was unable to find a 20 oz can of crushed pineapple, so I bought 2 and weight out the difference)
3. Dump Cherry Pie Fill over the pineapple
4. Dump (notice where the name comes from?) cake mix, unprepared, right from the box, on top of the cherries
5. Add pecans, optional
6. Top with sliced butter
7. Bake for 45 mins to an hour, or until it is golden brown and fruit is bubbling
8. Allow to cool, or till just warm and serve with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
This was not quite how I remembered it, but it was very good! I remembered hers being more cake like, this one was more cobbler like. The cherry and pineapple were lovely together and the pecans added a nice crunch. The topping did have a bit of a crunch layer, but underneath was moist.
It was one of those recipes that after the first bite I wasn’t really sure if I even liked it. But of course I continued to eat I seemed to like it more and more, so much so that I had a second helping later that evening.
I got rave reviews from everyone, so I guess I can call this one a hit!