I have been impressing myself lately. Usually, I do not stray from a recipe, I do it exactly as is. This is why I like baking, you follow the recipe and it turns out, it’s a science. Well, I have become quite adventurous with biscotti. I have finally found a ‘base recipe’ that I am able to play around with flavours.
This week I had numerous people asking for more biscotti, so I made 3 batches! I made cherry almond, chocolate and lemon poppy seed. A few weeks ago Mom asked about making lemon poppy seed ones, I initially shriveled up my nose and thought, ick! Who would make that? Well it turns out quite a few people d0! I was looking for a recipe and there were tones, I was pleasantly surprised. After reading dozens of recipes I figured I would ‘wing it’ and hope for the best.
Lemon Poppy Seed Biscotti
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup ground almonds
4 large eggs
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tbsp (generous) lemon zest
2 tbsp poppy seeds
1. Preheat oven 350ºF
2. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, poppy seeds, lemons zest and ground almond, set aside
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine sugar, lemon juice and eggs. Beat on high with whisk attachment until it holds a ‘ribbon’ for a few seconds. (approx 5 min)
4. Add flour mixture and mix on lowest speed until just combined
5. Form into 3 even logs
6. Bake until firm to the touch and golden, mine are usually 35 minutes
7. Transfer to a wire rack and cool
8. Slice and turn to oven and back until desired hardness, mine were about another 25-30 mins, depends on the day
9. Cool on a wire rack and enjoy! Lasts a few weeks in a storage tin. Tupperware and plastic bags will also work
For me these were just OK. Everyone else said they really liked them. The texture was great, but I found them lacking in flavour but, admittedly in previous post, I am a bit of a lemon freak, when I have something lemony I want a punch of lemon, not a hint. I think another reason I wasn’t a huge fan is, they really were not that sweet. That being said, I still ate them! haha.
Next week I will try something new!