I tired a new biscotti recipe last week. I love the flavour of the Almond Cherry Biscotti that I usually make, but I can’t seem to get them to ‘harden up’. They always seem to be too soft, more like a cookie. Don’t get me wrong, it does not stop me from eating them, but I thought I would try something different.
I found this recipe on Everything-Biscotti.com. This is a great resource if you are into biscotti. I was able to get some great tips and some more recipes I would like to try. This recipe was Almond biscotti, I like the almond cherry combination so I added cherries to the recipe.
Easy Almond Biscotti
Adapted from Everything-biscotti.com
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup almonds
3/4 teas baking soda
1/4 teas. salt
1/2 teas. vanilla extract
1/4 teas. almond extract
1 egg white
1/2 cup dried cherries (my addition)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F and place oven rack in center of oven. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt
3. Add almond and cherries, stir to combine
4. In a small bowl combine vanilla, almond extract, egg and egg white
5. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients. Stir until well combined. Dough will be dry. Dump onto a floured surface and kneed about 10 times to bring everything together
6. Form into 2 equal logs, approximately 1 inch thick. Place on prepared sheets
7. Bake for 30 minutes or until the log is firm to the touch and golden. Place logs on a wire rack to cool, approximately 15 minutes
8. Reduce the oven to 325F.
9. On a cutting board, with a serrated knife, cut on a diagonal approximately 1/2 inch thick
10. Place cut side down on cookie sheet and bake from 12 minutes. Turn each biscotti over and bake for another 12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack
This recipe was pretty good. I quite prefer the texture of these biscotti over the ones I usually make. These were much more crunchy and dry. As for the flavour, they were a little weak. Next time I would add a lot more almond extract, perhaps up to a teaspoon, I could barely taste the almond. I will make these again with a few changes. Can’t wait to try another flavour soon!