A few post back I was talking about Shortbread Cookies. I love Mom’s shortbread they are amazing! Most shortbread I have had are usually thin and round or thin and cut into Christmas shapes, Mom’s are little round ones. I was then introduced to Whipped Shortbread, they were delicious! They were so light and fluffy but still had the same flavour and ‘short’ (as Mom would say) to them. The person who made them said it was not a ‘sharing recipe’, which I completely understand and respect as I have a few of those myself. I had to go on the hunt for one that I thought might work. I found several on the internet but what one should I use? I was looking through some old cookbooks (I can’t even remember who gave them to me) when I came across an old cut out from a newspaper of a Whipped Shortbread recipe! What are the chances, I had to try it. The paper is quite old and does not appear to have any source on it, other then it was on page 13.
2 cups butter, softened1/2 cup cornstarch
3 cups flour
1 cup icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans or chocolate chips or cherries (all optional)
1. Cream butter and icing sugar together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy
2. Beat in cornstarch
3. Gradually add flour, beat until mixture is very light and fluffy
4. Stir in desired nuts, cherries or chocolates if desired, I skipped this step
5. Drop spoon fulls of dough onto lightly greased cookie sheet, I used parchment paper
6. Top each with a cut cherry, this was my addtion (trying to make them like Mom’s)
7. Bake at 325 F for 15 – 20 minutes or until very lightly golden
8. Cool on a wire rack and enjoy!
After my last shortbread post, I am not even sure I should be saying this, BUT these were quite good! They had a wonderful texture, one I’m not even sure how to describe. They held together but when you bite them they almost melt in your mouth (must be the 2 cups of butter!). These shortbread are very delicate and ‘airy’, I know my description is not doing them justice, they are delicious. They have a very similar taste to Mom’s shortbread but a totally different texture. I would not say I like them better them Mom’s short bread I will say they are my favourite shortbread that I make :). This one will definitely be made for many Christmas’s to come.