I have become a little obsessed with Bakerella‘s Cake Pops! She has taken the world by storm! I have her book on order and will have it by the end of the week, I can’t wait. Mine are nowhere near as good as hers, but it’s a start.
I have made a couple of batches of Cake Pops, balls of cake on sticks, dipped in chocolate and decorated, see here. This time I tried to make Bakerella’s Cupcake Bites. These were really fun to make and a lot easier to store, you don’t need the styrofoam to hold them.
Follow the recipe steps 1-6 from my previous post on Cake Pops. You can use any flavour of cake and frosting.
Creating the Cupcake Base
To create the cupcake bottom effect you will need a chocolate mold. You can find them at most craft, cake or hobby stores, they are only a few dollars.
1. ****Make sure your cake ball fits into the cup! I had to redo a few of mine, made them too big. I found the perfect size to be a packed, level tablespoon.****
2. Melt whatever colour you want the bottom of the cupcake to be and fill the cup almost half way
3. Press cake ball into mold, just until chocolate comes up the sides of the cup. Don’t press too far, you don’t want to see cake through the bottom
4. When tray is full put in the freezer for about 5 minutes to set the chocolate
5. Remove from freezer, tap bottom on counter a couple of times and turn over. Cake bites should fall out. If they don’t, push slightly on the bottoms
Creating the Cupcake Top
6. At this time get out any decorations you want to add to your cupcake. I used different coloured sprinkles and mini m&m’s
7. Melt chocolate for cupcake top. Use what ever colour you like
8. Hold the cupcake by the bottom and dip into chocolate. Try to cover the entire top section to have no cake showing
9. Gently shake off excess chocolate and decorate before chocolate has set
They turned out pretty good for my first attempt. I am no Bakerella! I hope one day with practice I will be able to master the characters and creations as she does. In the meantime, I hear they taste good, that’s good enough for me!