No, I have not lost my mind entirely and bought a dog! I’m talking about Human Puppy Chow. I am sure you are thinking the same thing I was, ewwwww! When Jen first told me she thought we should make Puppy Chow I was less than impressed, then she started listing off the ingredients. With each item it sounded better and better. I slowly started to lose the image of smelly chewy dog food.
This was one for the many things we made on our baking day. It comes together so quick and easy, a perfect thing to make as we were waiting for another recipe to finish in the oven.
9 cups Chex or Chrispix Cereal
1 cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup Peanut butter
1/4 cup Butter
1 tsp Vanilla
1 1/2 cups Icing Sugar
1. In a large bowl (bigger the better, If you have a large plastic bowl with a lid it will save you time later) measure your cereal and set aside
2. In a double boiler melt chocolate, peanut butter and butter
3. Stir in vanilla and pour over cereal, stir
4. Add icing sugar, place lid on and SHAKE! (if you don’t have a big bowl with a lid, now you will need to transfer to large freezer bags to shake.
5. Spread out on a parchment lined cookie sheet to cool
6. Store in an air tight container (recipe says in the fridge, not sure why. I just stored mine on the counter)
This was delicious! The crunch of the cereal was not compromised in any way by the hot mixture. Each bite was very crunchy and quite tasty. You just get a hint of peanut butter and the sweetness of the icing sugar. This was a definite hit. I can see making this again in the future. Not too often though as I could not stop eating it!!!!
*later in the evening as I was snacking on the puppy chow we were thinking of other varieties. Thought about replacing the peanut butter with Fluff and adding some grahm crumbs to the icing sugar. Almost like a smores mix!