Earlier this week my Aunt asked if I would make her a Lemon Poppy Seed Cake, of course I answered YES! Me turn down a chance to bake? are you kidding? I was kind of excited because I have been wanted to make something for a while, but didn’t want to have it around for me to eat. It was also a challenge because I had never made a lemon poppy-seed cake before. I immediately start searching for recipes as soon as I came home. There were so many different recipes, I was quite surprised that a lot of them started with a box mix! Well, that wasn’t going to happen!!
I decided to use one from sprinklesofparsley.com (by the way, the Lemon Poppy Seed Cake wasn’t the only good things there. Some very nice recipes I will be trying in the future). This recipe intrigued me because of the directions. Most cakes there is a specific order on how to do things, when to add, how long to mix, etc etc. Not this one, Check it out.
I just love lemons, I can eat them just as is, I love the sour pucker they give you. It doesn’t matter if its dessert, a meal or a beverage, haven’t found a lemon dish I didn’t like. Bare with me, I went a little crazy on the lemon photos.
Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup poppy seeds
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk, 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Combine all of your ingredients into the bowl of an electric mixer. (can you believe that?)
2. Mix on low, scraping the sides occasionally. Until your wet and dry ingredients are just combined, about 30 seconds.
3. Then increase your speed to high and mix for 2 minutes until your batter is thick and smooth.
4. Butter and flour your bundt cake
5. Bake at 325 degrees for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
6. Once baked, let your cake cool for 10 minutes. Flip it over onto a cake stand and allow it to cool completely.
Meanwhile, to prepare your icing combine 1 cup of powdered sugar and 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice. Stir until smooth. Once your cake is cooled, drizzle with your icing. Serve and enjoy!
Looks pretty good, not sure though. Delivered it and waiting to hear a verdict 🙂