I’m sure you first thought is SALAD?? really? she’s posting about vegetables? I know its rare but this salad is amazing!
As long as I can remember this was always a staple at big meals at my Nana and Pops. I used to hate it but grew to love it! Mom now makes it every once in a while so this time I jumped in on the opportunity to share it.
It doesn’t look like much, and really when you read the ingredients you will probably think, ewwww! Let me tell you its Awesome! It is a little tedious to make with all the chopping and slicing so don’t just make one, we made 6 with this batch. It’s a good excuse to share your goods.
Nana’s Seven Layer Salad
- Green Peppers
- Romaine Lettuce
- Water Chestnuts
- Frozen Peas
- Hellmann’s Mayo (it must be Hellmann’s!)
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
1. Finely slice all veggies
2. Chop the lettuce
3. Grate cheese
4. From here you just layer the ingredients. The middle order does not really matter but always start with the lettuce
5. Now layer your veggies. Press them down between each layer, get as much in as you can. As I said it really doesn’t matter the order, but try to separate the colours especially if you have a glass bowl, looks nicer.
***Always end with the Peas**
***and YES put the peas on FROZEN right from the freezer***
6. Spread the Mayo. Now you have to trust me on this one, you must use Hellmann’s Mayo. It does not turn out with anything but. Trust me we have tried. As a rule I don’t like Hellmann’s, always use Miracle Whip but it doesn’t work here. Don’t be cheap and get the no name “salad dressing type” it must be Hellmann’s. There I think I got my point across!
Spread it right over the frozen peas. Works best by putting a huge dollop in the middle and working out. Just like icing a cake.
7. Layer of grated mozzarella cheese, don’t be stingy, pile it up, its ok if it goes over the top of the bowl.
8. Sprinkle parmesan cheese
Now here is the kicker, you can’t eat it for 24 hours!!! I know torture! All that work and you have to wait. Trust me it’s worth the wait.
***Very important cover with Tin foil or aluminum foil*** not plastic wrap. I have no idea why, but that is what Nana said to do, so that’s what we do.
24 hours later…..
As good as I remembered. The longer it sits the better it gets. You simply must make it!