Cake on a stick can it get any better?! About a year ago I saw these on someones food blog and thought they were the coolest thing. Over the past few months I have seen more and more pops popping up, so I started to do a little research on them. Apparently started by Bakerella and are now a huge trend, everyone wants Pops! They are quite simple to make.
1 pkg make mix, any flavour you like
1 tub of icing, or equal amount of homemade, any flavour you like
melting chocolate wafers
toppings if you wish
1. Bake your cake according to box directions
2. Let cake cool completely and crumble. I did both vanilla and chocolate
3. Add icing and mix, I used my own homemade icing
Vanilla cake with vanilla icing
Half of the chocolate cake with chocolate icing
The other half of the chocolate cake with chocolate icing and I added some peanut butter
Eventually you need to get your hands in there to mix and press it all together.
5. Place in the freezer for about a half hour to firm up the cake
6. Remove from freezer and begin to roll into small balls. I found that a table-spoon was the perfect size.
Now its time to add the sticks
1. Melt some of the chocolate
2. Dip the end of the stick in the chocolate and push it a little past half way into the cake pop
3. place in the refrigerator for a few hours for them to firm up and set. You can speed this process up by putting them in the freezer if you have room.
Decorating the Pops
This is the fun part, the possibilities are endless, whatever flavours you like give it a try. Though this step is easy it is quite time-consuming.
1. Melt your chocolate, I use a double boiler as I always seem to burn it any other way. But used what works for you
3. Tap off the excess chocolate. Quite a bit will come off and it will still be thick enough.
4. If you are adding toppings now is the time, while the chocolate is till wet. I used things like chopped nuts, toffee bits, peanut butter chips, ground cookie crumbs and coconut. You can also add candy or pipe on your decorations. Use your creativity.
These were a huge success! Next time I would be more creative in my decorating, but I think they were pretty good for my first try. When I first tried one I was a little disappointed in the taste, I was expecting more. But then when I thought about, it was cake and icing, you can’t really change the flavour of cake and icing.
I will definitely be making these again. I am looking forward to trying different flavour combinations and more creative decorating.
Thank you Bakerella!