Many years ago I saw The Barefoot Contessa, Ina Garten, make her Outrageous Brownies and I knew it was something I would one day have to make, so I added them to my Bucket List of Baking. Today was the day!! I have made several different brownies in search of the perfect brownie, and most have not been very good, but I must say the search is over! Ina Garten creates some amazing dishes, she sacrifices nothing for flavour, in other words if you are eating these your diet is out the window!
- 1 pound unsalted butter (right there I knew they would be good!)
- 1 pound plus 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 6 extra-large eggs
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee granules(I omitted this)
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Butter and flour a 12 x 18 x 1-inch baking sheet.
1. Melt together the butter, 1 pound of chocolate chips, and the unsweetened chocolate in a medium bowl over simmering water.
2.Allow to cool slightly.
3. In a large bowl, stir (do not beat) together the eggs, coffee granules, vanilla, and sugar. ( I didn’t put the coffee granules in only because I HATE coffee flavour in anything, they say it just enhances the chocolate flavour, but I did not want to take the chance, and after having them I am pretty sure they would not get any chocolateier)
4. Stir the warm chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and allow to cool to room temperature.
5. In a medium bowl, sift together 1 cup of flour, the baking powder, and salt.
6. Add to the cooled chocolate mixture.
7. Toss the walnuts and 12 ounces of chocolate chips in a medium bowl with 1/4 cup of flour, then add them to the chocolate batter.
8. Pour into the baking sheet.
9. Bake for 20 minutes, then rap the baking sheet against the oven shelf to force the air to escape from between the pan and the brownie dough. Bake for about 15 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not overbake! Allow to cool thoroughly, refrigerate, and cut into 20 large squares.
To me a brownie is not a brownie without icing. I prefer mine with vanilla icing, most like them with chocolate and some like without any icing, I tried to accommodate all.
The verdict? These are the most amazing brownies I have ever had! Everyone was raving bout them. I don’t thing I will ever make another kind of brownies again, they were perfection! Only one problem, I can’t stop eating them!!!